Thursday, October 22, 2009

I love to watch my students.

Children forgive so easily. They are overwhelmed by emotion and then, like a passing wind, they let it go. They don't hold on to unnecessary negativity, they don't read into things, an apology in an apology, a mistake is a mistake and betrayal is never in question. I hadn't realized until this year just how possible it is just to let shit go. How fucking wonderful you feel when you forgive someone and how unbelievable you feel when you forgive yourself.

I can't tell you why I set such unrealistic standards for myself but, I can tell you that I beat myself up over insignificant events all the time. One lesson I am going to try to hold on to for all my years is one i learned from my kids this year: conscious forgiveness is a needed part of my everyday life. It's an orgasmic release of negativity and stress. It is one of the most human things I've done in a while and is helping me overcome the sometimes judgemental side of myself.

Forgiveness, regardless, I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment